30 July 2008

Music collection

Of late the blog has reeked of morbid depression. Time for a change!! And what better time to start than right now!

I would like to list songs which really get my spirits up (well, to the extent that they can be brought "up"). I am limiting my sample to what is in my music collection at this time, since I prefer not to rack my brains for this exercise:

TPiR Theme: The classic! (Not the Latin flavored, butchered post-Barker remix.) Actually all the incidental music, cues, etc., from the show's 'classic era' would fall under this category.

Let's Stay Together - "The Reverend" Al Green: The full version, not the radio edit. The whole song must be heard to be appreciated. Do I ever hate radio edits.

Bridge Over Troubled Water - Aretha Franklin: Not the more famous Simon and Garfunkel version (which is just insipid) but the delectable cover by the First Lady of Soul. Man, does this song sound good when hustling through Eden Park in a lowrider.

Love's Theme - Barry White and the Love Unlimited Orchestra: This instrumental tune always reminds me of some high-glamour 1980s primetime soap opera for some reason. Best heard with powerful headphones (the type that cover the entire ear, not those silly rejects that are inserted into the ear canal) - it makes for a near religious experience.

Chains and Things - BB King: Blues just rule, this is one of the best.

More than a Woman - Bee Gees: Insert insipid disco/Saturday Night Fever joke here. In my world, most associated with 1970s-80s era trips to New Orleans East and the late Plaza at Lake Forest Mall.

Anything by Bernard Hermann: Hermann was the one true genius of cinematic music. I recommend a good complilation album. Best work includes the scores for The Ghost and Mrs. Muir, North by Northwest, Vertigo, Marnie, and of course his greatest work, music for Taxi Driver.

Woman's Gotta Have It & Across 110th Street - Bobby Womack: Bobby Womack is the Man!!

Traces of Love - Classics Four: This song always damn nearly makes me cry, it is that heartfelt.

Give Me Your Love - Curtis Mayfield: This song is too funky, it always reminds me of the nightlife of a distant, more aggreable era.

After the Love Has Gone - Earth, Wind, and Fire: Too many of these songs remind me of home. This one is no exception.

Breezin' - George Benson: Best appreciated when you are on a roadtrip in some distant locale, cruising down a back road somewhere.

I'll Always Love My Momma - The Intruders: This song has been a favorite of late after having been discovered recently. It stands to remain long in the rotation.

Your Love is So Doggone Good - Issac Hayes: Actually, anything by the illustrious Mr. Hayes could go here, but I had to pick my favorite. So there.

Between the Sheets - The Isley Brothers: It's 1983 and you're cruising the 'hood (specifically, Felicity Street, Central City) in a 1970 Cutlass, and the radio begins to play this song for the first time. This is the memory which comes back to me whenever I hear this song played.

Misty - Johnny Mathis: This song gets me, well, misty.

Mercy Mercy Me - Marvin Gaye: Perhaps the best song from what is definitely his best album.

The entirety of Dark Side of the Moon - Pink Floyd: A popular choice with which I concur.

My City Was Gone - The Pretenders: Of course.

Could It Be I'm Falling In Love - The Spinners: A gem of Philly soul. I never get tired of hearing this song.

My Cherie Amour - Stevie Wonder: Classic Stevie Wonder, perhaps his most emotionally honest song.

Virtually anything by the Stylistics: The Stylistics may not be very well known today, but in their day they were the greatest of all the Philly soul groups. Their music has stood the test of time.

Close the Door - Teddy Pendergrass: Yeah! Yeah! TP was the king of smooth love jams in the era. Beginning his career as lead singer of Harold Melvin and the Blue Notes (another fine group which had a few hits), he went solo in the early 70s.

I'm sure there are others but then this poast is growing long, so I'll stop here for now.

No comments: